EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR – FARMER FOODSHARE – DURHAM, NC
Since 2009, Farmer Foodshare has fostered cross-sector partnerships to build a local food system in which all members of our community can have access to healthy, nutritious food, and those who labor in agriculture can make a viable living. Farmer Foodshare works to improve economic stability for black, brown, female, and non-traditional farmers. Farmer Foodshare links agriculture with urban markets, and supports small farms and businesses by sourcing sustainable, seasonal foods for commercial markets.
Emerging from COVID with a highly qualified team, Farmer Foodshare seeks an experienced operations executive to expand our impact.
What We Do: Farmer Foodshare (FF) reshapes the disconnected food system by linking underrepresented small and medium-sized farmers with commercial and institutional markets. We provide logistical and market-making support through the Wholesale Market, which purchases food from farms and sells it to schools, groceries, restaurants, or to nonprofits serving low-wealth communities.
Farmer Foodshare also sponsors education and community outreach programs to provide additional opportunities for farmers, expand food access for all, and build a community around food.
To learn more about Farmer Foodshare, please visit our website at www.farmerfoodshare.org.
Seeking: A committed leader who can continue to support small and mid-sized farmers and strengthen links between rural and urban markets. Internally, we seek a leader who is a persuasive, responsible and creative problem solver to collaborate with an excellent team and a fully engaged Board. Externally, we seek to grow through new market relationships and collaboration with other organizations engaged in agriculture, food, and land.
Farmer Foodshare celebrates our employees’ differences, as we believe that diversity makes us better. We’re open minded to hearing about your relevant life experience, and roles you’ve performed within other businesses and nonprofit organizations. Farmer Foodshare is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors. The position is an exempt, full time position.
Leadership and Strategy
- Serve as the primary advocate, community builder, spokesperson, and
- Work with the board, staff, and stakeholders to construct and execute a strategic one-to-three- year plan to expand FF’s influence and impact in the Triangle and across NC for food distribution.
- Lead the organization to develop, implement, and assess strategy and business
- Articulate the vision in an inspiring way to internal and external
- Build a positive work culture based on justice, equity, diversity, and supportive of a productive, diverse, and professional
- Engage in the local community, building relationships and partnerships that advance the mission.
- Seek opportunities for growth, collaboration, and collective
902 N. Mangum Street, Durham, NC 27701 | www.farmerfoodshare.org | 919.701.2543
- Ensure high-quality program delivery, evaluation, and reporting
- Build and strengthen relationships with farmers, buyers, and community
- Foster a culture of teamwork and
- Optimize Wholesale Market logistics and
- Support and foster new program initiatives that expand the reach of Farmer
Donor Relations Management
- Oversee fundraising through donor relations, grants, and
- Cultivate positive and sustained relationships with local, state, and federal funders and foundations, corporations, and other major funding
- Develop and implement a plan to expand relationships and partnerships across the sustainable, rural, and small-farm ecosystems that will lead to a diversified funding stream and significant philanthropic
- Ensure strong internal controls, fiscal responsibility, accountability, transparency, and efficient, accurate, and consistent financial operations and
- Develop, implement, and manage an annual budget for the Board’s review and
- Perform daily, weekly, quarterly, yearly financial tracking, and
- Produce relevant financial reports for regular Board
Board Relations Management
- Work in partnership with the Board of Directors to ensure proper
- Hold weekly meetings with the Board
- Maintain regular communications with the Board of Directors, providing them with the necessary support, counsel, and information required for effective
- Ensure a quality process for supporting the Board and their involvement in fundraising, strategic planning, program delivery, and increasing overall
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university.
- Five or more years of experience as a nonprofit executive director, or significant proven experience, preferably in food systems, working with employees, donors, volunteers, Board of Directors, and organizational
- Successful record in demonstrating sound judgment and administrative skills necessary to oversee day-to-day operations, directing a staff of seven or more, and managing a budget of $1 million or
- A demonstrated track record of building and maintaining community relationships across many sectors that fosters a spirit of collaboration with social services agencies, agriculture, government officials, and community
- Substantiated fundraising experience with success in building dynamic relationships with key stakeholders, business and foundation leaders, and others who can influence individual, corporate, foundation, and government giving; experience in cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major
- Excellence in managing staff and building
- Experience with agriculture, processing, and food
- Experience with North Carolina food systems, advocacy, and public
SALARY & COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience with bonuses available for successful fundraising and donor engagement.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Apply immediately with a cover letter and resume, by email, to Recruiting@farmerfoodshare.org. In your cover letter, please discuss how your experience, training, skills, and education make you an ideal candidate for the next Executive Director of Farmer Foodshare.